He Said / She Said
Where we bring you two completely different viewpoints about one fabulous book!
One opinion from the author of this website, Nova Reylin and the other, her hubby!
And today, we bring you:
Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon
In a wasteland born of rage and fear, populated by monstrous creatures and marauding armies, earth’s last survivors have been drawn into the final battle between good and evil, that will decide the fate of humanity: Sister, who discovers a strange and transformative glass artifact in the destroyed Manhattan streets; Joshua Hutchins, the pro wrestler who takes refuge from the nuclear fallout at a Nebraska gas station; and Swan, a young girl possessing special powers, who travels alongside Josh to a Missouri town where healing and recovery can begin with Swan’s gifts. But the ancient force behind earth’s devastation is scouring the walking wounded for recruits for its relentless army, beginning with Swan herself.
- Cover: I love the cover, thought it was awesome.
- Synopsis: I thought this would be right up my alley. The way this sounds and everything.
- Favorite character: Sister, the homeless lady is bad ass, she protects Swan like there’s no tomorrow. She took a beating and kept on ticking.
- Plot pluses: Honestly, the whole story was a plus but I couldn’t get into it, it’s just too much like The Stand. It came out near the same year but it’s just another catastrophe.
- Plot minuses: Dragged on because I kept thinking of The Stand. It was slow because I was probably impatient.
- Rating: DNF
- Further comments: My wife made me start this and I wish I would have liked it. It just wasn’t for me.
- Cover: LOVE IT!!
- Synopsis: I like a synopsis that is like a movie trailer, one that gives you just enough information so you become intruiged and want to read the story, but not so much information that you can figure the entire plot out. I think this synopsis does that perfectly!
- Favorite character: Although I thought that Swan would be my favorite character, I think Josh is. He is just so good and in this hulking body that could break a man’s neck like a twig. He’s the kind of guy that real men are made of!
- Plot pluses: Wow… there are too many to count! I love this book from beginning to end!
- Plot minuses: There is so much going on that you could get bogged down if you miss something important.
- Rating: 5/5
- Further comments: I read this when I was in my early teens. Of course being a Stephen King fan it’s hard not to compare this to The Stand, but I think although both have apocalyptic similarities, they both have such a different narrative. This one has been my favorite since the day I picked it up and I re-read it every few years to refresh my memory. I love the characters, the interplay and dialogue, the intrigue, and the good vs. evil scenario. It’s a win/win in my book! This is a great one to read around Halloween!!!