Where we bring you two completely different viewpoints about one fabulous book!
One opinion from the author of this website, Nova Reylin and the other, her hubby!
And today, we bring you:
14 by Peter Clines
There are some odd things about Nate’s new apartment.
Of course, he has other things on his mind. He hates his job. He has no money in the bank. No girlfriend. No plans for the future. So while his new home isn’t perfect, it’s livable. The rent is low, the property managers are friendly, and the odd little mysteries don’t nag at him too much.
At least, not until he meets Mandy, his neighbor across the hall, and notices something unusual about her apartment. And Xela’s apartment. And Tim’s. And Veek’s.
Because every room in this old Los Angeles brownstone has a mystery or two. Mysteries that stretch back over a hundred years. Some of them are in plain sight. Some are behind locked doors. And all together these mysteries could mean the end of Nate and his friends.
Or the end of everything…
- Cover: I liked it! It doesn’t reveal anything about the book. It’s cool.
- Synopsis: Picked up the book because it’s Peter Clines. Read the synopsis afterwards. I think it reveals too much.
- Page 99: — Listened on Audible.
- Favorite character: Tim! He gives out free beer and he’s more than what he says he is!
- Plot pluses: Very well crescendo-ed. There’s a steady pace with a ton of questions and all are resolved at the end.
- Plot minuses: Some of the extenuating circumstances took away from the main plot.
- Rating: 4/5
- Further comments: If you enjoy a true mystery/thriller this is a must read!
- Cover: I like this! It’s different and grungy and unique!
- Synopsis: Love it! I can feel the intensity wanting to jump out of the book and it wasn’t even opened yet!
- Page 99: Listened on Audible.
- Favorite character: Tim, the old guy. He’s just cool as hell. Everyone should have a neighbor like this.
- Plot pluses: Somehow Peter Clines is able to keep the intensity to a rate of always raising. You start the book and you know some weird stuff is going to happen but weird stuff happens, over and over and over and way before the climax to the story I was wondering what in the hell these people were going to do! Perfectly paced!
- Plot minuses: A bit of Sci-Fi and there are some unanswered questions, but not enough to worry about.
- Rating: 5/5
- Further comments:
Although this has a Sci-Fi element I absolutely loved every part of this. Peter Clines is a great author. This had a feeling of horror to it even though the genre is more paranormal thriller, it seemed like my heart was going to beat out of my chest a few times. Just like watching a scary movie, but ohhhh so much better!