October 2014!! How to survive the Holidays
Ohhh!!! Halloween candy! Who doesn’t just love to indulge after your children come home with bags and bags full (or pillowcases for my daughter) of delicious, decadent, melt in your mouth chocolate?! We all have that one candy that helps us to remember our own childhood or calls to our sweet tooth. My particular favorite is Cadbury’s Fruit and Nut Bar. OMG… Melt in your mouth good! So, what can you do to combat that little yummy monster?
- DON’T combat it! Enjoy it! But… there are some guidelines to enjoying without going so overboard that you’ll regret everything. Nope! This is a plan to help you enjoy while indulging but just enough to stop that sweet tooth.
- Have one or two small pieces. A bar like Cadbury’s can be broken easily and stored away. Your sweet tooth will be happy and you will not feel like you cheated!
- Packaged candies! Eating 2 or 3 out of a serving size of 5 will limit you but again allow you to fulfill your sweet tooth’s needs.
- Share with a friend! Have a candy bar and you know you shouldn’t have the full thing? Cut it in half!
- Look at the serving size and try to keep your portion to 100 calories. This may be just a taste but sometimes that is all we really want!
- DO NOT eat just because the candy is there! (I’m horrible at this!)
The candy. Best of the bunch in red:
- Cadbury Dark Chocolate Bar – 7 blocks – Calories: 170, Sugars: 20g
- Cadbury Fruit & Nut Milk Chocolate Bar – 7 blocks – Calories: 190, Sugars: 21g
- Cadbury Milk Chocolate Bar – 7 blocks – Calories: 220, Sugars: 22g
- Reese’s Pieces – 51 pieces – Calories: 200, Sugars: 21g (cut in half for 100 calories!)
- Reese’s Sticks – 1 Package – Calories: 220, Sugars: 18g
- Reese’s White Peanut Butter Cups – 1 Package – Calories: 220, Sugars: 19g
- Reese’s Minatures – 5 pieces – Calories: 220, Sugars: 23g
- Pretzel M&M’s 1 bag – Calories: 150, Sugars: 17g
- Almond M&M’s 1 bag – Calories: 200, Sugars: 18g
- Dark Choc Peanut M&M’s 1 bag – Calories: 220, Sugars: 20g
- Dark Choc M&M’s 1 bag – Calories: 240, Sugars: 27g
- M&M’s 1 bag- Calories: 240, Sugars: 30g
- Peanut M&M’s 1 bag – Calories: 250, Sugars: 25g
- Twix Cookie Bar Minis – 3 Pieces – Calories: 150, Sugars: 15g
- Twix Single Pack – 2 cookies – Calories: 250, Sugars: 24g
- Dove Silky Smooth Dark Chocolate 1 bar- Calories: 190, Sugars: 17g
- Dove Silky Smooth Almond Dark Chocolate 1 bar- Calories: 230, Sugars: 18g
- Dove Silky Smooth Cookies & Cream 1 bar- Calories: 220, Sugars: 22g
- Peppermint Patties – 1 bar – Calories: 60, Sugars: 11g
- York Peppermint Patties Minis Pouch – 10 Pieces – Calories: 150, Sugars: 25g
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate Drops – 15 pieces – Calories: 200, Sugars: 23g
- Hershey’s Miniatures – 5 pieces- Calories: 210, Sugars: 22g
- Hershey’s Milk Chocolate – 1 Bar – Calories: 210, Sugars: 24g
- Hershey’s Cookies & Cream – 1 Bar – Calories: 220, Sugars: 20g
- Krackel – 1 bar – Calories: 210, Sugars: 23g
What is your favorite candy at this time of year? Is there one thing that will make you forgo all diets forever because it is just too yummy to pass it up?
AND MORE importantly! (reiterating from last month because it’s really important for the rest of the year!)
DO NOT pressure yourself if you go off of your diet or binge! Ok, you did it. I really hoped you enjoyed it too! Yesterday I ate a tub of air popped popcorn with white cheddar and butter. OMG! Talk about delicious. It was SOOO FREAKING yummy that I wanted to make more and eat another bin but I was already full so instead I grabbed some sweet tea to wash all that yumminess down. Did I beat myself up? Honestly, I started to and then I thought back to how enjoyable it was eating that popcorn and while reading the most engaging and dramatic book and I allowed myself that comfort. I also reminded myself that I am a human so mistakes can be innate and anyway eating can be super fun, so let yourself have breaks, you need them!
Nutritional info pulled directly from the sites of the companies.