on August 21st 2015
Genres: Horror, Romance, Young Adult
Alev is proud to be a Fire Sister, one of a fierce group of women who live on their own terms in a flaming mountain compound called the Cloister. The Sisters live without men, so Alev must Gather young girls to replenish their numbers.
When Alev plucks young Kaiya from the remote village of Koolkuna, the girl’s father follows them into the wilderness. Alev keeps him at bay, but she suspects that this man, at least, isn’t the monster she was taught all men are.
After he arrives at the Cloister, the Sisters want to put him to death. Alev can look the other way, or she can heed the growing whispers of her heart to help Kaiya and her father escape. But to defy the Fire Sisters is to revoke the only life and family Alev has ever known—and to face certain death herself.
THE GATHERER is an exciting 50-page prequel novella in the young adult fantasy Brilliant Darkness series. There are two novels and two short stories currently available in the series, and the final novel, THE FIRE SISTERS, is coming September 2015. The first novel, THE SCOURGE, was a finalist for the 2013 Next Generation Indie Book Award.
RECOMMENDED SERIES READING ORDER:The ScourgeThe Keeper: A Brilliant Darkness Story (novella)The DefianceThe Gatherer: A Brilliant Darkness Story (novella)The Fire Sisters (coming September 2015)
This is a very short book at only 59 pages! I knew I could read this in a jiffy AND it is in one of my favorite series of books. I didn’t even know she had more out! Too many books, too little time.
- Short! As I said, with only 59 pages, I flew through this!
- #2.5 Really exciting to see more books in the Brilliant Darkness Series.
- Quick plot, good characters
The not so much:
- I needed more substance. I have read a few novellas but normally they add to the overall series. Or are stand-alones. I’m not sure why this one was needed. At only 59 pages, couldn’t this just be added to the next book?
- These characters do not tie in with the first two. This is really confusing as I kept waiting to find out who they were or what was going on. Sadly, this might be due to the fact that I have not read these stories in so long! Must go back to book one!
In short: Good story but I am confused where it ties in. I think Kaiya is part of the tribe from book two. I need to go back and read more. I suggest reading these in order! The Scourge and The Defiance.
A.G. Henley is the author of the BRILLIANT DARKNESS series. The first book in the series, THE SCOURGE, was a finalist for the 2013 Next Generation Indie Book Award.
A.G. is also a clinical psychologist, which means people either tell her their life stories on airplanes, or avoid her at parties when they’ve had too much to drink. Neither of which she minds. When she’s not writing fiction or shrinking heads, she can be found herding her children and their scruffy dog, Guapo, to various activities while trying to remember whatever she’s inevitably forgotten to tell her husband. She lives in Denver, Colorado. Learn more at aghenley.com