I received this book for free from Purchase in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.Divergent by Veronica Roth
Series: Divergent #1
Published by Katherine Tegen Books on February 28th 2012
Narrator: Emma Galvin
Length: 11 hrs and 11 mins
Genres: Dystopian, Young Adult
Buy on Amazon
In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her.
So, instead of going all fangirl over here, I’m going to do a TOP TEN of what I absolutely loved to love and why I’m still talking about Divergent!
- The way this is written (I listened on audible) I was able to totally and completely fall into the story. So much so that I had to stop my life at three hours left because I JUST COULD NOT HANDLE IT!
- This is like the child of Harry Potter and The Hunger Games! Both amazing and have made one amazing but crazy baby!
- The four factions are very lifelike. I can see myself and my friends easily fitting these!
- The Dystopian atmosphere. This is like my heaven of books. Just love it! You cannot get any more dystopian than this.
- The characters, much like the factions, are also completely reasonable. Well, some of them!
- The drama! Ohhh the drama. It never stops.
- I love Trice. The transformation she goes through isn’t technically a transformation since this gal already has some spunk.
- Four! Yet another character that I fell in love with. He blows a bit hot and cold but he still has heart.
- Even when I thought I knew what was going on, I so didn’t.
- The last ten percent. If you think the first 80 was good, you’ll love the last bit. Break out the tissues.
Oh and technically #11… the narratorrocked my world. I have already purchased book two and am very glad she’s reading it. I will not hesitate to buy an audible book that she has narrated.