Top Ten Historical Settings You Love/ Ten Historical Settings You’d Love To See or Top Futuristic Books You Love/Ten Futuristic Societies I’d Love To Read in Books
I really prefer genres over a specific historical or futuristic setting. Mostly I read apocalyptic or dystopian. I just love, love, love those genres. Lately, I have also been reading psychological thrillers. Obviously these can be set anywhere but I do think they are even more fascinating during the Sherlock Holmes type of settings.
- Although I’m not totally sure I would want to live during this time, the first book I thought of was Clan of the Cave Bear. It has been one of my favorites since childhood so, although I think cave man times would have been more scary than having a zombiepocalypse, I have to add it to this list.
- I also have a love of anything that has to do with Tudor England. I can also only imagine how scary that would be. Any idea outside of the King’s would/could mean death by burning or beheading. Even still, I am absolutely obsessed with this time period! The clothes and the way people have to act is fantastic. I can only imagine the vocabulary that they used. I’m in love!
- Third is everything and anything Victorian. Much like Tudor England but the books that I have read have started the steampunk revolution! The clothes are amazing and the weapons are even better.
- Speaking of Steampunk, Victorian introduces us to the dress but then it gets much more elaborate and beautiful.
- Moving straight through to the Roaring 20’s! Again, it is mostly the clothes that appeal to me but the attitude prior to the 1930’s was so fast and fun! I think this was the precursor to the 60’s.
- And the 60’s. I am a bohemian at heart. I love the 60’s and really feel like I may have been born in the wrong decade. Although, I’m seriously excited that boho and gypsy types of looks are coming back!
All of these settings are fascinating to read about. My favorite is the meshing of Victorian and Steampunk. Basically, all of Gail Carriger 😀
What are your favorite settings?